A Cruise To The Frozen Norway
Wikipedia defines a Fjord as 'a long, narrow inlet with steep sides or cliffs, created by glacial erosion.' The beautiful inlets of Norway are more than a travel attraction. They are the biblical 'Garden of Eden' reincarnated. Their beauty is so surreal that you feel like you are dreaming instead of actually seeing them.
There are several cruise lines that offer a fantastic opportunity to sample the beauty of this frozen landscape. They include; Disney, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian and Princess.
Most of the cruise ships have accommodations for all adventure seekers ranging from families to groups and even solo travelers. The staterooms have modern amenities such as heating and air conditioning, high-end bathrooms, comfy cabin beds etc. some of them even feature a balcony where you can watch the beautiful landscapes unfold.
For you dining needs, expect meals cooked by expert chefs. From quick service meals such as burgers, pizza and chicken fingers to gourmet meals such as Bergen fish soup, dill-marinated shrimp and Norwegian pancakes; you will be treated to some eclectic dining experience.
The real Norwegian experience will however come when you get to explore the fjords. Below are some of the sights you should expect to see;
1. Sogne Fjord stretches over a distance of 204 kilometers and is the deepest and longest fjord in Norway. It was an important trading route during the Viking Era since it connected the villages of Sogne and Bergen
2. Geiranger fjord, popular for its 'Seven Sisters waterfall' was listed as a world heritage site in 2005 by UNESCO.
3. At 250 meters in width, Naeroj fjord is the narrowest Fjord in the world.
4. A tour of the Norway's Fjord is indeed an inspiring trip. You will get to see abandoned fields up in the mountain. It never ceases to amaze you how humans can be enterprising - I mean, how can one farm in such high attitudes?
5. Hardanger fjord is ideal for salmon fishing. For those who venture out here, you will be surprised by the number of fresh fruit orchards you find on its banks.
6. Hjørund fjord takes the tag of being the most beautiful fjord in the world for its sword-shaped peaks on either side.
7. Lyse fjord, located among high rising mountains that can rise to as far as 1,000 meters is ideal for hydroelectric power generation. It is one of the few fjords in the world that can boast such an important economic activity.
8. In year 2,000, coral reefs were found on the base of the fjords. This enhanced their profile as a major ecosystem. Coral reef is home to plankton, coral, anemones, fish, several species of shark, and many more.
9. Fjaerlands fjord tour on a ferry will give you one of the best views of glaciated mountains. Trust me; the only other place you can see such beauty is in Canada.
10. Norway is a modern economy with world-class facilities for vacationers. Since the fjords are an important part of the tourism industry in the country, they are well conserved and travelers are given first class accommodation.
Whatever else you do on your Scandinavia cruise, make sure you get to visit the beautiful Norwegian fjords. It is will be an awe-inspiring experience.