Here is Why Yellowstone National Park Should be on Your Travel Radar
The South Central Rockies forests eco-region extends to the States of Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. Part of this ecosystem is called the Yellowstone National Park. The park is popular for its sub-alpine forests as well as geothermal features such as the Old Faithful Geyser. Below are some interesting facts that will make you visit the park.
1. It is thought to be the first national park in the world. It was established by the U.S. Congress and signed into law by President Ulysses S. Grant on March 1, 1872.
2. The Yellow National Park occupies an area of 3,468.4 square miles (8,983 km2).
3. The park is home to one of the largest high altitude lakes in North America - the Yellowstone Lake. Apparently, the lake is perched on Yellowstone Caldera, the largest super volcano on the continent.
4. About half of the world's geothermal features are found in the Yellowstone National Park - mostly fueled by the volcanic eruptions of the Yellowstone Caldera.
5. The national park is the only intact ecosystem remaining in the northern temperates.
6. In the environmental circles, Yellowstone is known as a 'mega fauna'. It is the largest and most famous park in the continental United States and boasts animals such as Grizzly bears, wolves, bisons and elks.
7. Due to the presence of paved roads within the park, it has become popular for snowmobiling, hiking, camping, boating, fishing and sightseeing.
8. The park is home to more than 1,000 archaeological sites.
9. The continental divide of North America runs diagonally through the park on its southwestern corner.
10. The sources of Yellowstone River and Snake River are close to each other in the park; however, Yellowstone drains into the Atlantic Ocean via the Gulf of Mexico while Snake River drains into the Pacific Ocean.
You will certainly not exhaust the activities you can engage in this park, however, you will have a time of your life engaging in the few that you will manage. Yellowstone National Park is one of those places you wish you lived near – you can visit the park every day of the year without getting bored.