Top 10 Things to Do in Rapa Nui (Easter Island)
A Chilean territory located in the southeastern Pacific Ocean, Easter Island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that attracts thousands of visitors annually. Considered as one of the most remote inhabited islands in the world, it is the home 887 extant monumental statues called moai. These statues were carved by the natives using only stone hand chisels in the period 1100–1680 CE. The only way to get to Easter Island is by air travel via the Mataveri International Airport, served by LAN Chile and occasionally by LAN Peru. Here are the top ten things to do in Easter Island.
- Visit the quarry of the moai in Rano Raraku Volcano. This is where the moai or statues were carved. It is where you will find 397 moai in various stages of development.
- Walk or ride the horse to the highest peak in Rapa Nui, Terevaka. You can almost view the entire island from its top.
- Check out Orongo, a stone village and part of the the Rapa Nui National Park. It features 53 stone masonry houses that were restored. These houses are situated high on the south-westerly tip of Rano Kau, a large volcanic caldera.
- Watch a folkloric traditional ballet called Kari Kari. Don’t forget to bring a camera. The show features energetic authentic Polynesian dancing with lots of audience participation.
- Pay homage to the Church of Rapa Nui. Masses are held every Sunday in in Rapanui language, and the priest wears a ceremonial costume with feathers.
- Visit the Ahu Te Pito Kura which is home to the biggest moai out of Rano Raraku. Magnetic stones are located near the moai which are considered to hold special powers.
- Shop at the Tamure Rapa Nui where you can buy souvenirs and clothing apparel.
- Learn more about the island, its history and culture at the Museo Antropológico Sebastián Englert.
- Enjoy a swim at the Anakena Beach which serves as an excellent backdrop for the seven moai located in Ahu Nau Nau.
- Dine at the Tataku Vave Restaurante which has a fantastic view of the ocean. This seafood restaurant is where you can savor the best fish dishes in Eastern Island.
Easter Island also known as the Isla de Pascua in Spanish and Rapa Nui in Polynesian must be one of the places in your bucket list. It might so sound remote but it is worth the travel. Book a trip to jubilee as soon as you can!
Contact Jubilee For More Info.