Everything you need to know about Hong Kong Airport
Below is a low down for those interested in what to expect at the Hong Kong International airport;
- The airport is codenamed as follows; IATA - HKG and ICAO - VHHH.
- It is located on the reclaimed island of Chek Lap Kok. This is why the airport is sometimes referred to as Chek Lap Kok Airport to differentiate it from its closed predecessor Kai Tak Airport. Note that the island was mainly reclaimed to build the airport.
- The airport is one of the busiest and most important air transport hubs in Asia. It is operated by Airport Authority Hong Kong.
- Resident airlines include; Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong Airlines, Dragon Air, Hong Kong Express Airways and Air Hong Kong. Other major airlines that focus on the airport include; China Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Ethiopian Airlines, and Air India.
- The airport employs a total of 65,000 to cater for the 100 airlines with a global reach of 180 cities.
- Statistics - In 2013, the airport handled 59.9 million passengers. This makes it 11th busiest worldwide by passenger traffic, and world's busiest by Cargo Traffic.
- The airport has 2 terminals.
- Ground Transportation - You can use buses such as Citybus, New Lantao Bus, Long Win Bus and Discovery Bay Transit Services; or ferry services, or mass railway transit. You can also use taxis such as Urban Taxis, New Territories Taxis, or Lantau Taxis.
- There are 3 nearby hotels where you can make a reservation. They include; Hong Kong Skycity Marriott Hotel, Novotel Hong Kong Citygate and Regal Airport Hotel.
Armed with the above information, there is no way you are going to be stranded in this vast airport.