10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Maldives But Should
Maldives, officially known as the Republic of Maldives, is an island nation that straddles the Laccadive Sea. It is composed of a double chain of 26 atolls. The island is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Its white sand beaches make the Caribbean Islands look drab. Before you make a trip there, make sure you know the following things about the country.
1. Maldives has been independent throughout its history apart from 3 instances; one under the Portuguese for 15 years in the 16th century, another in mid-17th century under the Dutch and another under the British from 1887 to 1965.
2. Male is the capital of the island nation. Traditionally, it was known as the King's Island
3. Maldives has the lowest sea elevation in the world at just 1.5 meters above the sea level
4. Maldives' islands are spread over 90,000 square kilometers, making the country one of the most geographically dispersed in the world
5. The official language in the country is Maldivian (Dhivehi), but English is widely used especially in commerce.
6. To get around the country, you can use domestic flights, boat or seaplane.
7. The main religion in the country is Islam.
8. The average temperature in the country ranges between 27 and 30 degrees centigrade. Do not tire yourself with a lot of warm clothes.
9. Because of its low altitude, the country is very sensitive about climate change. The rising sea is a danger to the country's existence. Keep off the topic unless you are an environmentalist.
10. The white sand on the beaches has been washed off the limestone on the coral reefs.
Maldives is as exotic as they come. Take a lot of pictures. Visit the uninhabited atolls and skinny dip...you may never find another chance to do something naughty. Above all, have fun.
By Kennedy Runo on 04/28/2015 in Maldives