How to make the most of a layover in Doha
Layovers are annoying. You are left in an airport or a hotel in a country whose language you cannot understand. To make the matters worse, you might even miss out your appointment in your destination. But what to do? It might be that the reason you are getting a layover is because your plane has mechanical problems. Sometimes a trip with layovers is the only way to save that hard earned buck.
If you ever find yourself with a Doha (capital of Qatar) layover, worry not. The following are some of the ways to make the most of your layover.
1. Take a trip to Downtown Doha - Here, you will get to see Museum of Islamic Art and Souq Waqif. You also get to walk along the Corniche and grab some street grilled snack. Note: avoid alcohol. It is illegal in Qatar and unless you are in a hotel that is licensed to sell liquor, you will get in trouble with law enforcement.
2. Do some shopping at the airport - You can buy copper jewelry, plates, bowls etc. If your budget allows it, buy a souvenir that will remind you of your time in Qatar.
3. Catch-up with your knowledge of Middle East - There is no better to learn something about Middle East than in Qatar. Buy a book and read through.
4. Take a nap - This is a great time to catch up with your sleep. If you have been doing night shifts to beat deadlines, book yourself a nice place at the airport hotel and get some good sleep.
5. Make some new friends - Pick up conversation with a total stranger and see how well you fare at making new friends. Sorry if you suck in this department, but it takes practice to have great networking skills.
Layovers are not as bad as they sound if you know how to keep yourself busy.
By Kennedy Runo on 03/13/2015 in Doha