Jerk Pork - Where to find the tastiest while in Jamaica
First of all, welcome to Jamaica. Now as far as its culinary exploits are concerned, you can never have better than Jerk Pork. Jerk is a Jamaican style of cooking where meat is dry rubbed or marinated with very hot spice known as Jamaican Jerk Spice.
Traditionally, only pork and chicken were subjected to this style of cooking but of late, shrimp, tofu, lamb, fish, sausage etc. have been added to the menu. The hot spice that is used for Jerk cooking is made up of Pimento (all spice) and scotch bonnet peppers. Lately, other ingredients that are added to the spice include; nutmeg, thyme, garlic, cinnamon, salt, cloves and scallions.
Jerk pork or chicken are the national dish in Jamaica. Almost all the Jamaican eateries will have a variation of Jerk pork. However, for the tastiest of them all, you are welcome to visit the following restaurants;
1. Boston Bay, Portland, Jamaica
2. Scotchie’s Jerk Centre - You can find this in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios or Kingston.
3. JoJo’s Jerk Pit and more - This located at 12 Waterloo Road, Kingston
4. Pork Pit, Montego Bay near Walter Fletcher Beach
5. Ossie’s Jerk Centre - This is to be found on the Morass side of Norman Manley Boulevard in Negril
6. Red Dragon located at Red Ground Road, Negril, Jamaica and many more
Your trip to Jamaica can never be complete without having sampled some jerk pork. This dish is up there with the world's best culinary experiences.