What to see and what to do in Madrid
Madrid, the largest city and capital of Spain is a place of interest. It is a place of interest because it is the third largest city in the European Union after London and Berlin. The city is nestled on the banks of River Manzares.
It would be folly to ignore this large metropolis. Despite the fact that it boasts modern infrastructure, it has managed to preserve its heritage with a lot of success. As a traveller in Spain, you are well advised to explore what the city has to offer.
What to see;
Among the points of interest that any sightseer, photographer and adventure seeker would want to see in the city include;
- Museo Nacional Del Prado - This museum was opened in 1819 and is located at Paseo del Prado, s/n, 28014 Madrid, Spain. Buen Retiro Park - This Park belonged to the Spanish Monarch in the 19th century. It is located at Plaza de la Independencia, 7, 28001 Madrid, Spain
- Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum - Located at Paseo del Prado, 8, 28014 Madrid, Spain
- Plaza Mayor, Madrid - Located at Plaza Mayor, 28012 Madrid, Spain. It was opened in 1619
- Royal Palace of Madrid - This was opened in 1755 and is still the official residence of the Spanish Crown. It is located at Calle Bailén, s/n, 28071 Madrid, Spain.
- Temple of Debod - This is located at Calle Ferraz, 1, 28008 Madrid, Spain. It was opened in 1972.
- San Francisco el Grande Basilica - This is located at Plaza de San Francisco, s/n, 28005 Madrid, Spain
Other Madrid attractions include; Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, Royal Chapel of St. Anthony of La Florida, Church of San Antonio de los Alemanes, Casa de Campo, The Madrid Zoo Aquarium, The Westin Palace Madrid, Real Jardín Botánico de Madrid and Parque del Oeste among many more.
What to do;
There are probably thousands of holiday and leisure activities to engage in during your visit to Madrid. Below is a representative sample;
- Picnics in the parks
- Photography of the ancient sights
- Fine dining
- Clubbing and nightlife
- See some bullfighting spectacle
- Watch the Real Madrid football team do their magic
- Walk in the park
- Open bus rides around the city
- Ride the Madrid's cable car
- Visit museums and galleries
- Sample some beers and wines from around Spain
- Buy mementos at El Rastro etc.
You need several trips to exhaust all the fun there to be had in Madrid. Make the best use of your time in the city.